On this page:
The only traffic jams in Yelapa happen when friends stop for a chat on the path. The simple questions, ‘what time is it?’ or ‘what day's today?’ usually draw a blank. And although you can certainly go hiking, fishing, riding, meditating, disco dancing, and even flying, the most popular activity is actually doing nothing at all.
WHAT TO BRING
- There are no ATM's in Yelapa, and only a few places will take credit cards, so bring cash.
- You can use foreign credit or debit cards in any ATM in Mexico to get pesos at good exchange rates. USD bills are also widely accepted here.
- The main means of transportation here is walking, so a small backpack is always handy.
- Beds are usually fitted with mosquito nets in lodging facilites, but if you are prone to bites bring your favorite insect repellent.
- There are no drugstores in Yelapa, and one can only find basic over-the-counter medicines at the stores, so bring enough medication you might be needing.
- Yelapa has had electricity since August 2001, but the paths are still somewhat dark. A small flashlight or headlamp is a must.
- If you visit during the winter, bring a light sweater or jacket.
- All of Yelapa functions on septic tank systems. Please, no paper in the toilets anywhere!
- Most Yelapa restaurant and hotel workers get low or no salaries, so please don't forget to tip them. The norm here is 15%, with 20% being appropriate for outstanding service. Kindly bear in mind that foreign coins have no value in Mexico.
- One should keep an eye out for scorpions throughout Mexico, but particularly in hot or tropical areas. Shake your shoes & clothes before putting them on, and be cautious when grabbing items.
- Don't forget to lock up valuables at night.
© 2018-2021 Cheryl Harleston All rights reserved
All content included in this site —such as text, graphics, logos, and information architecture— is the exclusive property of Cheryl Harleston and/or her content providers, and is protected by international copyright laws. Any unauthorized reproduction by any means of any portion of this website will constitute an infringement of copyright.